Your voyage of discovery starts here
... a visit to The Historic Dockyard Chatham is a guaranteed adventure.
Return to the ‘Age of Sail’ when the Dockyard built mighty ships that mastered the world’s oceans at Kent’s only VisitEngland ‘Gold Award’ attraction.
Test your sea legs on HMS OCELOT, a Cold War Submarine; explore HMS CAVALIER, a Second World War Destroyer and walk the deck of HMS GANNET, our Victorian Sloop. Watch our Master Ropemakers at work using centuries old techniques on our iconic Ropewalk and explore the Ropery gallery.
Let your hearts set sail through the tides of history. A fantastic day out in Kent awaits.
- Monday 29 May: Ropery Demos from the Master Ropemakers will not be taking place on Bank Holiday Monday 29 May
- HMS CAVALIER: Please note there will be scaffolding onboard to aid conservation activities
- Friday 2 June: Due to a private event we have limited seating capacity in the Mess Deck restaurant on this date
- Tuesday 6 June: Limited availability on guided tours for visitors on this date
- 6 – 13 June: The permanent exhibition gallery in No.1 Smithery: The National Museums: Maritime Treasures will be closed for case cleaning the gallery. It will re-open to visitors on 14 June.
That is why you have a perfect opportunity to read only the most interesting facts from the history and of course try free demo slots. We have a number of guided tours and talks for everyone, all included in the price of admission. All excursions are booked upon arrival. To book your tour, once you have checked your ticket, go down the ramp to the Plan Your Visit area. A member of our team will make reservations for your chosen excursion. We have several time options throughout the day, but to avoid disappointment, please make your reservations as soon as you arrive.